IFE Geochemistry Laboratory
The geochemistry laboratory at IFE is equipped with a wide range of high-precision analytical instruments to measure stable and radiogenic isotope ratios and the composition of elements and organic compounds in geological, biological, gas and water samples. We can handle both routine and custom analyses with complex matrices as either a commercial service or partnership in research projects. Our multi-disciplinary team delivers within deadlines and client specifications analytical results and interpretation reports.
We work on a wide range of project related to exploration and production of hydrocarbons, carbon storage, monitoring pollution and fluid flow in landfills, controlling the quality of biogas and hydrogen in processing plants, refuelling stations and fingerprinting the source of contaminants. IFE’s clients and research partners include academia, other research institutes, onshore and offshore industry, government authorities and private individuals.
The IFE Geochemistry Laboratory is part of the ECCSEL, the European infrastructure for accelerating technologies of carbon capture and storage. We are also partnering in two Norwegian Research-Based Centers for Innovation (SFI) on the Subsurface Well Integrity, Plugging and Abandonment (SWIPA) and on the Rescue of Earth Materials and Waste in the Circular Economy (EarthresQue).
Multi-elemental and isotope analysis system across the periodic table
- Agilent ICP-OES 5800
- Thermo Fischer Neptune plus HR MC-ICP-MS
- Thermo Fischer Element XR HR ICP-MS
- UP213 Laser Ablation System
Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometers (CHONS)
- Thermo Fischer Delta V plus EA-IRMS
- Nu Instruments Horizon with dual inlet and Euro EA
- Thermo Fischer Gas Bench II
- Finnigan Delta plus XP IRMS with Trace GC, combustion and pyrolysis unit and Precon
- Picarro L2130-i isotopic H2O Cavity Ringdown spectrometer
High-precision analytical field instruments
- XRF Analyzer Thermo Scientific Niton XL
- Licor LI-7810 Trace Gas Analyzer
- Picarro G2201-i δ13C CO2/CH4 cavity ringdown spectrometer
Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometer
- Agilent 7890A GC with Split and loop Injection connected to high sensitive PDHID, TCD and isotope ratio mass spectrometer
- Trace GC and a Polaris Q Ion Trap Mass Spectrometer
Optical Mineralogy and fluid inclusion lab, Hydrocarbon Core Scanner
Argentino, C., Waghorn, K.A., Vadakkepuliyambatta, S. et al. Dynamic and history of methane seepage in the SW Barents Sea: new insights from Leirdjupet Fault Complex. Sci Rep 11, 4373 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-83542-0
Huq, F., Smalley, P.C., Mørkved, P.T., Johansen, I., Yarushina, V., Johansen, H., 2017. The Longyearbyen CO2 Lab: “fluid communication in reservoir and cap-rock”. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 63, 59-76.
Huq, F., Smalley, P.C., Yarushina, V., Johansen, I., Schöpke, C.A., Øvrebø, L.K., Skurtveit, E., Hartz, E.H., 2021. “Integrated study of water Sr isotopes and carbonate Sr–C–O isotopes reveals long-lived fluid compartments in the Langfjellet oil discovery, Norwegian North Sea.” Marine and Petroleum Geology 127, 104958.