Electron beam welding and mechanical engineering workshops
The EB-welding and mechanical engineering workshops deliver specialized welding and machining. More than 45 years' of experience of providing services for customers within aviation, oil, gas and nuclear industries has led to the current, vast range of projects and assignments.
The department is assessed both internally and by external customers several times a year, and the department is certified in accordance with ISO 9001 and NS-EN ISO 3834. Through dialogue and co-operation the department delivers projects of high quality on time and at the right cost.
The department carries out a lot of electron beam welding for external customers, such as welding for multi-phase meters and a new type of antenna that has been mounted as deep as 3100m below the ocean surface.
The activity mainly covers:
- Electron beam welding of sensors and other equipment for the petroleum sector, car industry, defense, air- and spacecraft.
- Construction and stress calculation.
- TIG-welding for rigs, loops and tanks.
- Service and maintenance on mechanical and hydraulic equipment.
- Machining, milling and welding of testing equipment, corrosion sampling, infrastructure, storage containers and much more.
The welding workshop does construction work, machining, welding, repairs and mounting /assembling testing equipment, loops and more for all sectors and departments at IFE, in addition to projects for external customers.
Electron beam welding
The most characteristic trait of EB-welding is the possibility to perform deep welding with narrow weld seams and a minimal heat affected zone (HAZ).
This gives certain advantages, such as:
- All metallic materials can be melted using a focused electron beam and, as a consequence, most pure metals and alloys can be successfully welded.
- EB-welding is especially recommended for welding metallic materials which require low heat input, low shrinkage, low distortion, and for welding dissimilar or reactive metals.
- The special properties of electron beam welding derive from the high power and power density attainable in the beam spot, resulting in a ‘deep welding effect’.
- Fusion welding with an electron beam
- High energy density
- Low heat input
- Low distortion
- Thin to thick
- Parallel weld joint with width:thickness = 1:50
- No filler metal, no gas protection
- Welding of most metals
- Welding of dissimilar metals
We can weld:
- Titanium alloys, stainless steel, Ni alloys, alumina alloys, carbon steel
- Different alloy combinations
- Thicknesses from 0,1-70 mm
- Components up to 5000 kg
- Long components up to 4,1 m
Examples of EB-welding:
- Sensors – subsea and topside
- Valves and hydraulic couples
- Encapsulation of electronics
- Air- and spacecraft components
- Rocket components
- Reactor jigs
- Nuclear fuel
- Reactor core instruments
Our facilities and services include:
- Metallurgical Laboratory
- Microscopy, LOM, SEM, EDXA
- Helium leak testing
- Pressure testing
- Mechanical Test Laboratory
- Chemical Analysis Laboratory
- Corrosion- and Fluid Laboratory
- Design/construction Mechanical workshop
- Material technology (material testing and selection)