Electron beam welding and mechanical engineering workshops
The department is assessed both internally and by external customers several times a year, and the department is certified in accordance with ISO 9001 and NS-EN ISO 3834. Through dialogue and co-operation the department delivers projects of high quality on time and at the right cost.
The department carries out a lot of electron beam welding for external customers, such as welding for multi-phase meters and a new type of antenna that has been mounted as deep as 3100m below the ocean surface.
The activity mainly covers:
- Electron beam welding of sensors and other equipment for the petroleum sector, car industry, defense, air- and spacecraft.
- Construction and stress calculation.
- TIG-welding for rigs, loops and tanks.
- Service and maintenance on mechanical and hydraulic equipment.
- Machining, milling and welding of testing equipment, corrosion sampling, infrastructure, storage containers and much more.
The welding workshop does construction work, machining, welding, repairs and mounting /assembling testing equipment, loops and more for all sectors and departments at IFE, in addition to projects for external customers.
Electron beam welding
The most characteristic trait of EB-welding is the possibility to perform deep welding with narrow weld seams and a minimal heat affected zone (HAZ).
This gives certain advantages, such as:
- All metallic materials can be melted using a focused electron beam and, as a consequence, most pure metals and alloys can be successfully welded.
- EB-welding is especially recommended for welding metallic materials which require low heat input, low shrinkage, low distortion, and for welding dissimilar or reactive metals.
- The special properties of electron beam welding derive from the high power and power density attainable in the beam spot, resulting in a ‘deep welding effect’.
- Fusion welding with an electron beam
- High energy density
- Low heat input
- Low distortion
- Thin to thick
- Parallel weld joint with width:thickness = 1:50
- No filler metal, no gas protection
- Welding of most metals
- Welding of dissimilar metals
We can weld:
- Titanium alloys, stainless steel, Ni alloys, alumina alloys, carbon steel
- Different alloy combinations
- Thicknesses from 0,1-70 mm
- Components up to 5000 kg
- Long components up to 4,1 m
Examples of EB-welding:
- Sensors – subsea and topside
- Valves and hydraulic couples
- Encapsulation of electronics
- Air- and spacecraft components
- Rocket components
- Reactor jigs
- Nuclear fuel
- Reactor core instruments
Our facilities and services include:
- Metallurgical Laboratory
- Microscopy, LOM, SEM, EDXA
- Helium leak testing
- Pressure testing
- Mechanical Test Laboratory
- Chemical Analysis Laboratory
- Corrosion- and Fluid Laboratory
- Design/construction Mechanical workshop
- Material technology (material testing and selection)