Simulator Training Evaluation and Monitoring System (STEAMS)
STEAMS is a software product to record and play back simulator sessions. It integrates audio, video, screen content, data logs, instructor-initiated malfunctions, operator actions and plant responses into a combined, synchronized stream for post-scenario replay and analysis.
STEAMS provides quick and easy means to search and find interesting sequences of a recorded session, and immediately synchronizes all data sources to the selected time. This makes STEAMS superior to traditional video-based recordings.
STEAMS is applicable to simulator-based training in nuclear, petroleum, power, and other industries. STEAMS supports tasks such as
- in-scenario or post-scenario debriefs
- performance assessments and qualification exams
- learning from recorded best-practise operations
- documenting compliancy during scenario-based simulator testing
During playback, STEAMS presents
- audio from selected devices, with individual volume control
- video from selected cameras
- searchable lists of operator actions, plant alarm & event responses, and instructor-initiated malfunctions and notes
- trend plots of searchable plant process parameter values
- images captured from selected plant process computer screens or operator control screens
The user can play & pause, and easily select any specific time from a recorded scenario by dragging a slider, selecting from searchable lists of events, or clicking on trend plots. STEAMS immediately synchronizes all data sources to the selected time and is ready to play.
SCORE is a complementary software product to STEAMS, featuring structured and consistent evaluation of operating crew performance. SCORE supports instructors and evaluators in preparing schemas and in using these to evaluate operator and crew performance. SCORE can also be used by operators for post-scenario self assessments.
Together with Exitech Corporation we installed STEAMS and connected it to customers’ simulators at
- Farley nuclear power plant, Alabama, USA
- Comanche Peak nuclear power plant, Texas, USA
- Cook nuclear power plant, Michigan, USA
STEAMS is based on well-proven prototypes used by IFE’s researchers to assess operator crew performance in HAMMLAB studies since 2011.