With digitalization IFE means to use digital technology to achieve more with less effort, so that a task is done faster, cheaper and with better quality. In close cooperation with industrial partners we have contributed to digitalization for more than fifty years.
Research within digitalization is one of IFE’s strategic focus areas. Already in the beginning of the 1960s we began using digital technology to solve challenges for industry and defence. But it is only in recent years that building blocks such as processing power, algorithms and technology platforms have come so far that we can really exploit the potential of digitalization.
Digital technology has been part of the research activity at IFE since the 1970’s. We do research within the energy domain, for the oil and gas industry and the international nuclear industry. Our research methods and results are applicable in other domains as well.
IFEs total digital expertise across the institute, covers a wide range of areas
- Control rooms: Digital interfaces for process monitoring and control. Integrated operator support systems like digital procedures, automation visualization and alarm systems. Situation awareness and human factors. Systems for integrated operations and remote control. Control room layout and staffing.
- Smart cities: digital technology to secure important infrastructure such as water, drainage and power supply, as well as safe management of citizens’ data.
- Transportation: Use of autonomous vehicles, management of transport systems, collection of data and safeguarding of the environment.
- Industry 4.0: Data collection, automation / robotization, predictive maintenance, and digital twins.
- Health: sensor technology and large-scale analyses as well as safeguarding patient data and users’ encounter with digital technology.
- Agriculture: Autonomous agricultural machinery, collection and analysis of data from animals, plants and the environment to streamline agriculture and increase the use of renewable energy.
- Decommissioning: planning, robotization for mapping, and use of VR and AR for both training and operational work.
Our knowledge within cyber security is relevant within all these domains.
We work with Internet of Things, virtual and augmented reality, artificial intelligence and digital twins to create more benefits for people, society, industry and the business community.
It is not the technology and hardware itself that prevents digitalization processes. International research shows that these processes do not provide the expected benefits if focusing on technology alone. Therefore, IFE, with Norway’s largest environment of industrial psychologists, also look at the interaction between human, technological and organisational factors in their research. IFE assist and advice about how to exploit the potentials of new digital technology in a way which is not experienced as invading, and where security and privacy are safeguarded.
IFE has a wide range of laboratories for studying of human behaviour in interaction with technology and for development related to digitalization. Se the dropdown menu to the right for more details on this.
With the latest “Data Lake” technology, we have built large databases for the use, analysis and visualization of industrial processes, and not least for machine learning. Our resources within advanced computer science enables IFE to handle large and varied data sets for both our customers and partners.